UN World Food Programme (UN-WFP) Innovation Challenge 2021 ($100,000 Equity Funding)
The World Food Program has launched the call for applications in search of game-changing ideas to build stronger, more sustainable food systems, addressing hunger at the root and galvanizing international cooperation on food security.
The fact that 811 million people still go to bed hungry each night suggests that food systems — the path that food travels from field to our plates — are not meeting the needs of all people. WFP has seen that some food systems can easily be disrupted by climate shocks, COVID-19 and violent conflict. Even in stable environments, people have limited access to nutritious food because of geographic isolation, socioeconomic inequalities, or weak commercial markets.
This year’s campaign challenges us to rethink our food systems. The World Food Program is looking for disruptive innovations for fighting hunger in areas such as resilience to shocks and stress; access to safe and nutritious food; and advancing equitable livelihoods for all.
UN World Food Programme (UN-WFP) Benefits
- Selected teams will be invited to participate in a fully virtual WFP Innovation Bootcamp in February 2022 for a week.
- Projects will also be considered for the WFP Sprint Program, a six-month acceleration program with access of up to US$ 100,000 in equity-free funding, mentorship, and WFP’s global network of partners and vast field operations.
- Scaling innovations that have proven their concepts and value for social impact may qualify for further funding and support.
- The WFP Innovation Accelerator has a track record of organizing 35 flagship innovation bootcamps, supporting over 320 teams to rapidly refine their innovations, field testing over 90 projects within WFP operations, and bringing 14 disruptive innovations to scale, reaching more than 3.7 million people in 2020 alone.
UN World Food Programme (UN-WFP) Eligibility
If you are a start-up…
- Your start-up must be incorporated at the time of application. It can be for profit or not-for-profit.
- Your innovation must at least be at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. Proof-of-concept and initial traction is preferred.
- Your solution should be financially viable.
- Your proposal must show how working with WFP will serve your long-term strategy.
If you are a WFP employee…
- Your team must have evidence of Country Office support and management buy-in.
- You are encouraged to apply, regardless of your contract type or function.
- We accept project applications from WFP employees who are collaborating with NGOs, government or private sectors.
Selection Criteria for UN World Food Programme (UN-WFP)
They are looking for innovations that meet the following expectations:
- Impact for the people WFP serves and potential to reach Zero Hunger
- Feasibility, including time to deliver impact, technology maturity, and user traction
- Level of innovation
- Financial sustainability with a clear business case that does not rely on WFP funding
- Team strength, experience, and commitment
Do you have an innovation that can end hunger? They want to support you. Apply here!
Are you an innovator at WFP? They want to work with you to design bold solutions. Apply here!
- WFP Employees
Are you an innovator at WFP? Let’s work together to design bold solutions.
For more information, visit WFP Innovation Challenge 2021.