Job Vacancies at The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Regional Budget Manager – West Africa
Requisition ID: req14008
Location: Abuja (FCT), Nigeria
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
IRC’s Crisis Response, Recovery and Development (CRRD) department focuses on various relief, rehabilitation, and development programs for refugees, internally displaced persons and those affected by conflict in different regions worldwide. Each region is managed by a regional team that oversees the region’s country programs, headed by a Regional Vice President (RVP) and Deputy Regional Director (DRD), and supported by a Regional Grants Director (RGD). These programs focus on different sectors, including health; water and sanitation; children and youth protection and development; protection; gender-based violence protection; economic development; civil society development; community-driven reconstruction; and refugee camp management.
- In the West Africa Region (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Cote D’Ivoire, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Sierra Leone) IRC responds to acute and longer-term needs with integrated programs that improve health and safety, prioritize children’s education, foster economic wellbeing, and empower communities to regain control over their lives.
- Where additional support is required by the countries in the region, the Regional Budget Manager will be deployed to work as part of the finance/budgeting and grants teams in country offices. S/he may be deployed to act as a temporary Budget Manager, or to provide surge support to assist in the development of proposals as well as donor financial reports, and to perform general budgeting functions during peak periods.
- The Regional Budget Manager reports to the Regional Grants Director and works closely with the Regional Business Development and the Regional Program Support Teams as well as country office staff. The position will be preferably based within the West Africa region, or a European or African country where IRC has an office, with frequent travel to country programs within the region for in-country assignments.
The Regional Budget Manager will be assigned to support specific country programs and will be responsible for the following:
- Lead or support on budget development for proposals and award modifications.
- Coordinate on inputs into proposal or modification budgets for submission to donor and ensure adequate coverage of country operating costs or headquarters costs.
- Work with country finance, operations and technical teams to ensure cost proposals and technical proposals are aligned.
- Coordinate with the proposal team on strategic issues involving proposal budgets. Ensure that the proposal team is educated on donor requirements for cost proposals (budgets).
- Ensure proposal and modification budgets comply with IRC organizational policies.
- Review, edit and finalize explanatory budget narrative to accompany budget in proposal or modification.
- Create and / or modify budget spreadsheet templates in accordance with donor requirements.
- Conduct internal budget reviews during proposal or modification period.
- Lead on engagement with partners on their budgets and review partner budgets.
- Advise on IRC’s standard budget templates.
- Ensure proposal and modification budgets are reviewed and submitted according to internal timelines and donor submission deadlines.
- Ensure compliance with RFP / RFA / tender requirements.
- Lead on or support the preparation of donor financial reports
- Support on other budget related tasks, including audit support and report responses, as requested.
- Provide training and/or capacity building to relevant country office staff on proposal budget development, financial reporting, and other finance related matters.
- Degree (minimum BA) in Business, Accounting, Finance, or related field relevant to the position requirements;
- 3-5 years’ experience in developing and managing budgets for humanitarian and development proposals and projects, including from private and statutory donors (e.g. US Government (USAID, BHA, BPRM, etc.), FCDO / DFID, ECHO, GFFO, Sida, SDC, Irish Aid, etc.;
- Experience in developing and reviewing donor financial reports;
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills;
- Enhanced interpersonal skills and ability to work in a diverse team setting;
- Fluent English written and verbal communication skills, Strong French communication skills also required
- Ability and willingness to travel across the region (at least 60% of the time),
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize high volumes of work to meet tight deadlines.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Job Title: Base Officer – Bama
Requisition ID: req14009
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
IRC Nigeria Program
- Since October 2012, the IRC has been responding to humanitarian needs of Nigerians. The IRC initially intervened in response to floods that affected over 7 million people across the country, destroying harvest and damaging homes.
- Beginning of January 2014, IRC shifted geographical location to the North East, in Adamawa state to provide humanitarian response to the conflict-affected populations. In the North East, IRC has three operational offices: Yola and Mubi field offices in Adamawa state and Maiduguri field office in Borno state-with the latter office opened in October 2015. In both states, IRC is providing humanitarian support to internally displaced populations hosted in IDP camps, camp like settings, host communities and returnee populations.
- The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectorial interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs. Currently, the IRC is expanding programs in Borno state to address the needs of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and host communities in recently liberated LGAs.
- The Bama Base Officer is an integral part of the Support Office and will report directly to the Field Coordinator. This position is responsible for the oversight of all operations and supply chain functions including Safety and Security Protocols, Procurement, Warehousing and Asset Management, Fleet Management, Visitors’ Accommodation and Office Administration.
- Success in this position requires an individual with demonstrated team leadership abilities; strong coordination and communication skills; risk management skills; and an ability to promote acceptance of IRC’s program activities within the communities that we serve, while developing strong working relationships with other INGOs, local government officials, and community leaders.
- Based in Bama, Base Officer oversees all IRC operations in the LGA and reports to the Field Coordinator.
- Ensure operational activities are conducted according to IRC policies and procedures and Donor guidelines through frequent and routine verification of operational documents and reports.
- Work with HR team implementation of new policies and procedures for Bama Field Office.
- Promptly inform the Field Coordinator of any areas of concern or potential or suspected violations of policies and procedures.
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of monthly reports and data required by Maiduguri office including procurement request tracking, vehicle rental contract tracking and supply and asset inventory lists.
- Work effectively with program staff in planning and delivering timely operations support.
Human Resource and Staff Management:
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Ensure timely completion and submission of monthly timesheets, probations reviews and annual performance reviews.
- If/as required identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the employment policies.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with all staff and as a part of the annual Performance Review and Planning Process
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures
- Adhere to and serve as a champion of the IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct
- Provide guidance and training to operations staff to ensure their full knowledge of the IRC Nigeria Country Office Protocols and policies. Ensure the collection, distribution and coordination of time and effort sheets, pay slips, and leave forms in collaboration with the Maiduguri office.
Operation support and Finance:
- Ensure proper financial management systems are in place and followed in coordination with the Maiduguri based finance team /department.
- Ensure that all policies, procedures, and practices follow IRC, donor, and national requirements.
- Responsible for safety and security of IRC staff, assets, and premises (office, field sites) in coordination with Field Coordinator ensure consistent review and updating of security management plans.
- Monitor all contractual activities involving construction, rehabilitation, and upgrade of facilities in Bama.
- Keep procurement records to ensure that procurement actions are fully and clearly documented according to IRC policy.
- Raise Purchase Request for operations, Payment Requests (PRs) and may execute small procurement activities as may be required especially locally available materials/supplies and services but should refer to Maiduguri Supply Chain Manager for large procurements.
- Track office stationery supplies and reordering.
Warehousing and Asset Management:
- Supervise storekeeper and ensure proper functioning of warehouses including recordkeeping, storage, safety, and security.
- Monitor warehouse records including delivery reports, stock cards, waybills, and inventory reports.
- Conduct routine inventory spot checks and report findings to Field Coordinator .
- Conduct regular Asset Inspection and send report promptly to Field Coordinator of all discrepancies and/or unserviceable assets requiring disposal.
- Maintain asset/equipment issue forms.
- Organize transport requests for all vehicle movements.
- Track vehicle maintenance actions for all Bama based vehicles.
- Assist the mechanic with vehicle maintenance scheduling and help to prioritize vehicle maintenance needs for Bama.
- Track and work with the Maiduguri Supply Chain staff to ensure monthly and quarterly procurement of vehicle and generator fuel, and lubricants according to strict adherence to spending plans and procurement rules.
- Maintain vehicle rental contract tracking records.
Security and Office Administration:
- In collaboration of the Security Coordinator, implement all security protocols on health, safety, and wellbeing of staff.
- Always ensure compliance to all security SOPs and measures and report promptly to the Maiduguri Security Coordinator any violations.
- Provides support to all programs staff in Bama and provides strategic leadership to overall programming with technical support from Program Managers.
- Oversees the work of programming teams during the preparatory works, assessments, technical requirements, and selection of external entities in support of the specific projects/program.
- Ensures full compliance with project/grant agreements and with statutory and technical legislation issued by appropriate government authorities.
- Closely monitor events in Bama (humanitarian situation, politics, and security, etc.), to identify potential challenges or opportunities for IRC interventions.
Coordination and Representation:
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders in Bama – including community and religious leaders, NGOs, local government authorities etc., to enhance cooperation and coordination between organizations.
- Attend on a regular basis the interagency security meeting organized in town and provide regular feedback to the security coordinator and the Field Coordinator .
- Other duties related to Operations Management which may be assigned by the Field Coordinator to maximize program outcomes.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Field Coordinator
- Position directly supervises: Log Admin Assistant, Cook/Cleaner.
- Key Internal Contacts: All Program team.
- Key External Contacts: Government Officials, INGO, Local Partners etc.
- University degree in Management, Community Development, or equivalent qualification.
- 2-4 years minimum professional experience with preference for experience working with international NGOs.
- Strong sense of personal integrity and proven staff management and team building skills.
- Strong Supply Chain management skills.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office; Excel and Strong Computer skill.
- Excellent management and organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player with proven management and leadership skills.
- Solid ability to provide team building, coaching, and development for staff as well as encourage cross-functional collaboration and cooperation.
- Ability to live and work under pressure in an unstable working environment while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Experience and reliability in carrying out safety and security protocols.
- Strong negotiation skills essential with experience in conflict resolution desirable.
- Experience of working with local stakeholders such as local and international NGOs, government etc.
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri language is added advantage.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: RECRUITMENT REPORT is a reliable Job / Vacancy Site in Nigeria. Our goal is to provide you with the latest Jobs in Nigeria.
We also provide adequate information that will aid you to qualify for any interview or job openings. Search For Jobs, vacancies, recruitments, career opportunities in Nigeria.