African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Team Assistant, AHHD
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001204
- The Vice-Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on two of the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy High 5s priorities of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex will spearhead the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contribute to the other High 5s.
- The Department has two divisions (i) Education, and Skills Division which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to education and skills development; and (ii) Public Health, Nutrition and Social Protection Division focusing on strengthening health systems, social protection and nutrition for human wellbeing. It also hosts various pertinent initiatives and trust funds.
The Education, Human Capital and Employment Division focuses on human capital development, skills training, employment creation and empowerment, poverty reduction for improved and sustainable wellbeing and livelihoods. The Division:
- Leads the development and promotion of Bank’s policy and strategy work so that operations which are identified, developed and executed by the regional hubs effectively implement the Bank’s relevant sector policies and strategies;
- Provides technical guidance/advisory services and expertise to regional hubs by generating relevant knowledge and gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide technical advice on complex transactions (Communities of Practice);
- Fosters strategic partnerships with regional and global partners to leverage resources into the human and social development sectors. It also directly contributes to the work of the various initiatives and trust funds hosted under the Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department; and provides expertise to support Vice President’s role as the Bank’s spokesperson to external audiences, and;
- Ensures coherence of the Bank’s action in human and social development across regions.
- Under the general supervision of the Division Manager AHHD1, the Team Assistant will play an administrative supportive role in the coordination and delivery of the unit.
- He/She will lead to the establishment and maintenance of all information management systems and databases (e.g. SAP) to enable the effective result-based management.
- He/She will oversee the smooth operation of the offices’ support work and related systems by assuming responsibility for the organisation and coordination of workflow as well as reviewing, processing and executing a variety of accounting and resource management transactions.
- He/She will generate information and reports to inform on the progress, achievements and outcomes of the AHHD1 funded projects and the AHHD.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Manager, Education and Skills Development Division (AHHD1), the Team Assistant is responsible for:
- Organize (including generation of virtual meeting links etc) and attend to multiple meetings, appointments and events to ensure that responsible management are well prepared.
- Arrange travel, visa and accommodation; travel occasionally with management to provide general assistance.
- Initiate and prepare various administrative documents and forms, such as staff list, staff travels, staff absence (annual leave, home leave, excused absence and maternity leave) as well as statistical data when required on staff;
- Create contracts for hiring consultants in DACON.
- Devise and maintain efficient office systems.
- Track and follow up on documents; deal with incoming email, faxes and general mail.
- Manage systems; create and process expense reports in SAP.
- Assist the management in issues concerning resources such as the administrative budget; monitor and review expenses and bring issues to the attention of Manager.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual and mid-year budget review by inputting data and the monitoring thereof.
- Produce documents, briefing papers, reports, spreadsheets and presentations.
- Take notes at meetings, write and finalize letters, and prepare minutes as requested.
- Assist where applicable with the programming of operational activities by using the appropriate software, entering project information and producing the Department’s various status reports i.e. CSPs, Active Projects, Portfolio Reviews, etc.
- Respond to inquiries on operational matters from Bank Executives; liaise with member countries and other staff; coordinate with other members of management and partners; work with other operations assistants, secretaries and groups in different locations.
- Carry out background research in field of competence and present in a logical manner.
- Perform any other duties reasonably requested by management.
- Hold at least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline, preferably supplemented with courses in secretarial training/administration/office management (BTS or DUT).
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritization in its own program of work, ability to perform the tasks in a timely and effective manner;
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multicultural environment;
- Excellent Communication Skills. ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French and/or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint,
- SAP and/or other integrated document management system).
- Have a minimum of quatre (4) years of professional work experience in project management, work programme and budget preparation, and information management.
- Good understanding of the functions, organization and procedures of the Bank; leadership; strong research capabilities and problem-solving;
- Knowledge of secretarial and administrative duties.
Application Closing Date
6th March, 2021
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Information & Notice
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts.
- The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever